Saturday, February 20, 2010

How I started crocheting.

Like most children who have crocheting grandma's my teaching began during a very boring weekend while I was at grandma's. When I was in 3rd grade my parents were moving closer to my grandparents. They went ahead and enrolled me in my new school at the beginning of the school year and I stayed with my grandparents while my parents were waiting for their doublewide to arrive and be set up on the lot. I hardly had any things at my grandparent's house and they only had one tv and no cable. I hadn't made any friends yet and since it was a small country town it wasn't very easy to do so. I was horribly bored after having gone through almost all of my activity books. Grandmas was working on some doilies and she began to teach me how to chain and then single crochet. That didn't last long. I ended up stopping after I moved back in with my parents and the knowledge left my brain.

Move forward in time about 17 years. My husband bought me an "I Taught Myself Crochet" Kit and 2 skeins of Red Heart Super Saver because he remembered hearing me say something about wanting to learn. So it began again and it wasn't pretty. Learning from a book is not easy. My single crochet wasn't what it was supposed to be. I was slip stitching. But I didn't know this. I started to make my daughter a blanket but I was leaving out the turning chain. After I figured that out, I frogged it and started again, turning chain included but still slip stitching. My husband wanted a blanket too so I started one for him, also slip stitching. I got bored and pushed aside the blankets for a while. They were taking way to long to do and I felt like I was getting nowhere. I went on a crochet site and was looking at different stitches when I realized (son or a *****) I wasn't doing it right. I frogged my daughter's blanket and began her's again, the right way this time. My husband didn't want me to start his again. He told me to just start the single crochet on the next row. It was definitely not my proudest project but he likes it and he uses the slip stitched part buy his feet and he says that they stay very warm. So I finished those projects and made a few random items like scarves and now I'm working on my afghan for my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment